The books I read in 2018
I used to absolutely suck at reading books (and I still do, come to think of it). The whole having a physical book in your hands thing, trying to find a comfortable position to read just before going to sleep while your elbows are going numb - so annoying. Don’t get me wrong though, I absolutely love the physical act of reading, I just sucked at making it a habit, and being comfortable while reading.
Then I discovered podcasts, which eventually lead me to Audible. Instead of reading 3-4 books a year (mostly while on flights/trains to holiday destinations), I now read around 14-16. I typically listen while commuting to work, though occasionally while doing household chores I’ll also put on a book. You’d be surprised how quickly those 30 minute commutes add up!
A few books I bought either didn’t resonate with me, or the narration was atrocious - so I just returned them. The books below are only the ones I actually wanted to finish reading.
- Why We Sleep - Matthew Walker
- Bullshit Jobs - David Graeber
- It Doesn’t Have To Be Crazy at Work - DHH, Jason Fried
- Rework - Jason Fried, DHH
- Angel - Jason Calacanis
- Blitzscaling - Reid Hoffman, Chris Yeh
- Debt - David Graeber (half-finished)
- Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products - Nir Eyal
- Thinking in Bets - Annie Duke
- High Growth Handbook - Elad Gil (half-finished)
- The Upstarts - Brad Stone
- The Everything Store - Brad Stone
- All Marketers Are Liars - Seth Godin
- Creativity Inc - Ed Catmull
- The Icarus Deception - Seth Godin
- Purple Cow - Seth Godin